Chatarsis - Sexual Harassment Part I

Have you ever had a sexual harassment?

In Jakarta, I personally do had sexual harassment. This is my story....

One time, I was walking with my friends around Gelora Bung Karno (GBK), then suddenly this tiny brats come, maybe they was around 8 years old tops. They walking like a boss, when we pass through with them, they poke my friend chest. I swear he poke it. My friend yelling and screaming at them but they run away. People staring at us and asking what happen, my friend shaking and tell people that those brats poking her chest. People telling how sorry they are and they said those brats are "regular" around here. They always poking girl chest and warn us for the next time. Yeah, maybe you blame my friend. But guess what, my friend use regular shirt, didn't use revolving outfit at all, even her chest didn't that big. Those brats just want to poke girl chest.

I really wanted to walk around freely in Jakarta, better yet, in anywhere or everywhere without even bother by people harassing us, like calling our name like "Hey pretty girl! Let me have your number!" or they hustle at us, and even worse they touch us in appropriate area. It's not the first time I had a sexual harassment experience. I frequently got one when I taking a public transportation or when I walking in a street.

Once, I walk to mini market near my house while wearing my uniform. On the way there, I passed through a motorcycle wash (it only for motorcycle), when I walked in, they hustle me. But I gave no respond to them. then on the way home, I using the same rod. Guess what? They spray the water off off me. I YELLED REALLY HARD. I'm soaking wet (Luckily I didn't bring my phone at the time). They said that I should learn my lesson and says back at when they says Hi to me and not being an arrogant. One of the employee even come over me, they running and looks like he want to step up to mock me even more. I'm so scared, I'm afraid that they will grab my hand, and do something bad, so start screaming for help. A man with a motorcycle are stop next to me and asking what happen. The employee from the motorcycle wash come back where he belong and I tell the story how they spray a water to me and stuff, the man with motorcycle do nothing to them, he just saying that I should go home immediately. He offered me to drive me to my home, but I said, it's only four house away, so I'm good. He warn me to bring an umbrella next time when I walk near this area, or avoid using this rod, or bringing a rock or something the next time I wander around alone, even if it's near my home area. Trust no one cause people are getting crazy lately. It's such a calming how he talk to me like that, and he make sure I'm arrived at my home. I insist to walk to my home while he drive his motorcycle slowly and make sure I'm arrived at home.

So... have you also ever had a sexual harassment, too? I could count myself as a lucky one since there's a man who come and help me, or since there is nothing happen to me. Some cases they even killed their victim like in this story in India, or this in Cirebon, or in Bekasi, and worst, teenage girl raped, genital stuffed with a hoe.

I believe you do feel the same, that we as a girl, woman, parents, feel uncomfortable by a man who do a sexual harassment to us, our friend or even our child. So this is what we can do to our neighborhood, to our child, friends, and all, I read this article, this is might help a little. You can find it here.

Together, we can change the future.

Own it, live it, love it.
Hug, love, and kisses.
Sam.

Comments